Timetables: 08:30 pm – 00:30 am
Departures: Bus line stop nearest the hotel
Full price ticket € 24,00
Reduced-price ticket 4-14 years € 10,00
Children 0-3 years FREE
(Admission + Transfer)
Every year, in August, San Leo hosts the AlchimiAlchimie festival, to commemorate the anniversary of the death of Count Cagliostro, who was imprisoned in the infamous cell without doors nor exit routes; the only way to enter it was a trapdoor in the ceiling, from which Cagliostro was dropped and then constantly watched by guards.
The days of the festival are enlivened by shows, pageants, music and conferences dedicated to the famous alchemist, and to magic and mystery.
For organizational reasons it is mandatory to book within the same day at 1:00 pm at the reception of your hotel.
The excursion will be activated upon reaching a minimum number of participants.
San Leo is part of “The Most Beautiful Villages of Italy” and is located on an imposing rock with sheer walls which, since prehistoric times, has determined its dual military and religious value. According to the legend, Leo, a Dalmatian stonecutter, arrived in Rimini with Marino at the end of the 4th century AD. It seems that both escaped from the persecutions of the Emperor Diocletian against the Christians and that, after finding refuge in the heights of the hinterland, they constituted real communities. Leo then moved to the rock of San Leo, the ancient Feretrio Mount, giving life to the community that made the history of the village; Whereas Marino went to Mount Titan, the mountain of the current Republic, already founding a first community in 301.
NOT TO MISS
St. Leo’s Cathedral
The Cathedral is dedicated to the Patron St. Leo and it is the result of Lombard-Romanesque workers. The building dates back to 1173. It has a Latin cross plan, with three naves and a transept, a crypt and a large presbytery. Originally this building was not isolated but adjacent to the bishop’s palace that communicated directly with the Bell Tower. In the apse of the crypt, there was the sarcophagus with the remains of St. Leo which was a pilgrimage destination for those who passed through the Apennines, in order to reach Rome.
Opening: annual Free entry
From 09:30 am to 12:30 pm and from 2:30 pm to 6:00 pm
Fortress and Museum
The origins already refer to the era of the wars between the Goths and the Byzantines (6th century). It was always the object of contention especially during the 14th and the 15th centuries until it was finally conquered by Federico da Montefeltro in 1441. The powerful defensive system of San Leo seems to be an extension of the boulder that supports it. During the Papal State and until 1906, it was used as a prison in whose cells the Count of Cagliostro ended its days. Some exhibitions of weapons, armours, the cells of the famous inmates and the dark fortifications are visible inside.
Admission: for a fee
Full ticket: 9.00
Reduced ticket: 4.00
La Pieve – The Parrish Church
La Pieve is the oldest religious monument in San Leo and in the entire territory of Montefeltro. It constitutes the first material evidence of the Christianisation of this area of the hinterland. According to the tradition, the church was built on the cell where St. Leo used to pray.
Opening hours: 09:30 am to 12:30 pm and from 2:30 pm to 6:00 pm
The Bell tower
It is isolated on the top of the “Monte della Guardia-The Watch Mount”, one of the two summits of the Rock of San Leo. It was built directly on a rock like all the monuments in San Leo. Together with other buildings, it constituted the Episcopal Citadel where the Bishop of Montefeltro resided and which was destroyed in the mid-fourteenth century by the Malatesta family. Usually closed to the public, it is open during holidays or events.
Palazzo Mediceo – The Medici Palace
It was built between 1517 and 1523 to host the Governor of San Leo and Montefeltro on behalf of the Florentine Republic. It is located between the Parrish Church and the Cathedral and it has a typical Renaissance structure. The Palazzo Mediceo currently hosts the Museum of Sacred Art, the cultural offices, the Historical Archive and the Library. There are also rooms used for temporary art exhibitions.
Palazzo della Rovere – The Della Rovere Palace
Like the Palazzo Mediceo, this palace was also built to host the representatives of the important family that succeeded the Montefeltro family in the Lordship of the Duchy of Urbino and, later, in the government of the Province of the Montefeltro. It is the first noble building which welcomes the visitors when entering the village.
It was built in 1893 where the Community’s Elm or St. Francis Elm had existed in the Middle Ages. It is perceived as the “geographical” centre of San Leo even today.